On the agenda for the weekend is the Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz. The race is being held in Olathe, KS. It will be my 21st marathon in my 16 different state. With any race weekend I plan the schedule is tight and there is a lot going on each day of the weekend. So here’s the breakdown of events.
- Drive North to Jackson (120 Miles)
- This is where I am meeting up with 2 other runners, Brian & Tim
- Drive North to Memphis (210 Miles)
- Stay the night with Goodguy Otto
It’s a long morning on the road starting with a 6 a.m. departure from Memphis.
- Drive North to Kansas City, MO (471 Miles)
- I have to be at the airport by 2 p.m. to pick up Frank flying in from Chicago
- Drive to Olathe, KS (43 Miles)
- Expo, Packet Pickup, hotel check in
- Dinner Reservations at 6:00 with our group of runners and a few other running friends in town for the race
- Race Prep
- Race begins at 6:45 am
- Looks to be a very wet and raining day running the streets
- With luck we should all be finished running by 11:30
- Hotel check out is Noon
- Post race/showers lunch at Oklahoma Joe’s KC BBQ
- Drive back to Kansas City (43 Miles)
- Hotel check in at 3 p.m.
- Head 3 miles west to Kauffman Stadium to watch the Kansas City Royals take on the Oakland Athletics (MLB Stadium #9)
- Back to the hotel for the night.
Another early morning departure to get back on the road.
- Depart KC at 6 a.m.
- Drive South to Jackson, MS (660 Miles)
- Once Brian, Tim, & I split our own ways I head back home another 2 hours on the road. Hopefully, I’ll make it home around 7 p.m. Just in time for dinner.